Paratha and green coriander chutney
A fried, whole-grain flatbread. Serve Paratha hot with green coriander chutney or any vegetable.
* 2 cups whole wheat flour
* 1 cup finely chopped spinach
* Salt to taste
* ½ tsp chili powder
* ½ tsp turmeric powder
* 1/8 tsp ajwain (a small, highly fragrant seed with a taste like thyme. Look for it in your favorite Indian grocery.)
* Cooking oil for frying
* Water enough to form dough
* Heavy non-stick frying pan
* Pastry board and rolling pin
* Mixing bowl
1. Combine in a bowl, flour, finely chopped spinach, chili powder, turmeric powder, and ajwain. Also, add a little water at a time to make dough. Knead lightly with slightly oiled hands.
2. Divide the dough into golf ball-size pieces, or break off small amounts as you work. Roll the dough into a circle the thickness of two nickels stacked.
3. Preheat the heavy frying pan; take care to keep the Paratha in one piece when laying it in the hot pan.
4. After a few seconds turn over the Paratha with tongs. Now grease the hot surface with oil or ghee and quickly turn over the Paratha on the other side.
5. Now grease the other side with oil or ghee also and turn it over again.
6. Keep it on the hot frying pan for a few seconds; lift a corner to observe a few brown spots. Now place it on a serving dish, keeping paratha warm.
Green Coriander Chutney
* 1 cup Coriander leaves (Cilantro)
* 2-3 pieces green Chili
* ¼ cup cooked Chickpea, roasted to a golden brown (or substitute raw peanuts)
* Lemon juice to taste
* Salt to taste
Mix all ingredients well, in a blender or food processor